Thursday, July 9, 2009

Syfy not Sci-Fi





I was pretty skeptical about the identity system changing for the Sci Fi channel the first time I heard about Proud Creative (a London-based design firm) changing the lettering from Sci Fi to Syfy, months ago. Despite the name of the channel physically changing, there was a part of me that really enjoyed their old (yet over-done) logo of Saturn with the ring around
the planet.

Yet, quite surprisingly, ever since Proud Creative released more in-depth information about the ever evolving identity system I began to appreciate it much more. One of the elements about the system that I appreciate the most is the 'tab and slab' colored information graphics that are applied to the bottom of advertisements and on-screen applications to display what
show is next.





Granted, another element that I appreciate in this nicely crafted brand is the color palette that's utilized throughout the system. Using purple as the main color in the Tab system, new vivid colors are applied to the tab behind the main one. Even though this quickly reminded me of the FedEx brand and their color palette, I still feel like it's successful and appropriate.




Overall, this is a brand that I feel changed for the better. It reinvented the old and dated identity into something that's innovative, fresh, and compelling. And that's exactly what a re-brand should do. To compel the viewer to buy their brand. In this case, to watch their channel.

For a more in-depth look at Syfy's updated identity system visit Proud Creative's site: http://www.proudcreative.com/pr_syfy_01.html

1 comment:

pulguitaatodogas said...

Muy interesante trabajo.
Buena suerte.
:-)
http://pulguitaatodogas.blogspot.com/